Sunday, January 13, 2013

Starbucks and Salvation


I was in Starbucks with a friend this week when an old man approached the table where we sat and asked, "Does ballet make you beautiful?" 
This man was one of many older men who have too much time on their hands congregate at our local Starbucks. (Yes, there is still only one in Jackson, MS.) Being that it is the only Starbucks in town and located close to our studios, you will ALWAYS run into someone you know there, and the other locals have gotten to know this group of ballerinas who read their Bibles, or meet their prayer partners, or have counselling sessions at the quiet(er) tables in the corner.  Several of the dancers have built relationships with several of the other regulars there and are always talking about Jesus and the hope we have in Christ with them.  So, the question didn't take me by surprise. Rather while my friend just laughed at the question, I replied without a second thought.

No! Ballet doesn't make us beautiful, Jesus does!

He bumbled about and after a "humph", with a furrowed brow said, "well, I suppose that could explain some things... like your general peace, and the happiness that you carry". 
For me, it is just that plain and simple. Where else on earth can you find lasting joy and fulfillment, peace and happiness? What other source, never runs dry but is always flowing, filling and satisfying?
I was once DEAD in my sins and trespasses when Christ redeemed my life. Dead! Condemned, an object of wrath. Hopeless and helpless, condemned to hell. BUT Christ, who is rich in mercy and abounding in love, saved me by grace. Not only did He pull me out of the pit, but He gave me a firm place to stand.  Not only did He give me a firm place to stand, but He ransomed me. HE took my place. He took on my sin and shame and filth and paid the penalty of death that I deserved and made a way for me to stand in purity before the Father, forgiven and free. Thankfully, the story doesn't end there.  God is sovereign and on the 3rd day Jesus rose from the dead, conquering sin and death for anyone who would call upon His name and making a way for us to be with Him forever!  Not only did He save me, give me a pure standing before the Father, forgive me, pay my penalty and rise again, but He's also coming back for me. Is there anything greater? Is there anything more worthy of talking about in the streets, at Starbucks and on here? 

What concerns you today?  What things or burdens of life have you down that His Sovereignty and grace cannot cover? I pray you find strength in the all sufficiency of Christ today.

"What'er I need in Jesus dwells,
And there it dwells for me;
In Jesus Christ the King of grace,
In whom I stand complete!"

Sovereign Over Us - Aaron Keyes

No comments:

Post a Comment