Wednesday, March 20, 2013

6K Mile Reminders

For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me. (Colossians 1:29 ESV)

First of all, Im reminded that I'm forgetful. How easily I forget that the Lord has not called me to a task (or works) but to himself! I have recently been reminded of my adoption as a child of God. I, who was once far away, have been brought near to God through Christ Jesus my Lord, and am now considered a child of God!
1John 3:1 says; "What love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are."

For so many years I allowed myself to be defined by what I did for the Lord. Recently, I have been struck with a new awe that Gods love for me is not swayed by what I do or don't do for him, and further that he even allows me (frail and faulty as I am) to partner with him in his work. Wow! If we focus on the work, our perspective narrows to 'me, my, and I' and we will fail at the task. If we work in our strength, we will eventually run out of strength and fall short. But God calls us to partner with us in his strength through his Spirit's continual filling. Paul puts it so well as he prays for the church at Colosse.

"...we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:9-14 ESV)

What? Did he say that the Father has qualified me to share in the inheritance of the saints in light? Yes! He has granted me sonship and an inheritance with Christ!
On this 4 week tour we put over 6000 miles on our vans/trailers. Not only are there testimonies of how The Lord literally moved blizzards and a hail storm for us, but we had no blow outs or breakdowns all month! He IS a good Father to his children! The second thing He has been reminding me of over the past couple months, is that when we ask for bread, he gives us bread. Not a stone, or a snake like I assume he will. He gives us bread! This tour was one of asking The Lord in faith for things (and increasingly so) and watching Him move powerfully. When we ask according to his will he answers and provides! I think I can imagine a lot and I can be pretty needy when it comes to asking the Lord for things. The Word tells us that he can do abundantly or immeasurably more than ALL we ask or imagine! And that is exactly what we did! This tour we asked for much fruit. Guess what?! We saw fruit! 17 salvations (that we know of), over 800 public school students heard the gospel, and there was
deliverance, healing, and restoration in broken lives, marriages and relationships through ministry, prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit.
We are celebrating those numbers but they aren't the point. God is always at work. He doesn't need us to accomplish his purposes, but he does choose to use us! Letting us glimpse some of the fruit of our labors was only fuel to the fire of our faith, and as it grew we asked for immeasurably more.

Thirdly, I was reminded that his power is truly perfected in weakness. Almost 2 weeks into our tour, towards the end of an amazing program/revival in Florida, I hurt my foot. The Lord was moving in powerful ways that night and had given us an extra measure of joy. I was tempted to be frustrated, and more so as I sat on the sidelines for my last 4 performances in the states, but was humbly reminded that The Lord delights in my weaknesses because His power is perfected through it. He also met with me backstage that night and confronted some areas where I don't fully receive his love. Christ loves perfectly and in some ways I deny him the fullness of what he died for by allowing self- condemnation to slip back in. I'm so thankful that he is so patient with me, slow to anger and abounding in love!

Finally, I am reminded that it is the Lord who equips, sustains, and strengthens. In many ways this tour was difficult. We battled a lot of sickness and several people battled injuries, but the Lord is ALWAYS sufficient. We must labor out of His energy, with His endurance, and by His spirit who will grant us patience and joy when serving, giving and lovig gets tough.
I am so thankful to be home again, eating my food, sleeping in a familiar place and not living out of a suitcase or the van. But, with all it's challenges and trials, I would do it again in a heartbeat if it meant more lives rescued from the dominion of darkness, (Satan's grasp) and set free in the healing, freedom, and salvation found in Christ alone.

We are home for Easter and a few short weeks before we head overseas and start a grueling schedule. Please pray for me and for the Omega team, for refreshment in our spirits, increased unity, and health.

Would you also pray the following for me over these next few weeks?

Colossians 1:9, 10
"And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God."

In Christ and Because of Him,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment